I’m not a medium nor am I a psychic, but I have managed to interact with the spirit world because this ability is something we ALL have. We all have it because, when you boil it down to the nitty gritty…we are all Spiritual Beings! Now, some are fortunate to be naturally well connected to their spiritual self (like mediums and psychics!) but some of us are not. If you are in the “are not” group like me, that just means we have to work a little harder, exert a little more effort, to make spirit contact happen. And that’s because our BELIEFS are often holding us back. If you don’t think you can talk to spirits, you probably won’t. But, if you are interested in giving it a try, I’m going to give you a few ways to go about it that have worked for me.
In all honesty, I’m doing this post to celebrate my first book BE STILL, MY LOVE! (the picture on the left is an older book cover and not the one currently being used but I like it so thought I’d use it for this post). It’s been published since the 13th of December 2011 and has had over 24,000 downloads! Amazing. Truly amazing. I think the spirit world helped me write it. Okay…I think the spirit world helps me write everything I write but that’s another story. So anyway, I am getting ready to take it off Amazon’s KDP Select Program so I may offer it to KOBO readers and NOOK readers and whoever else wants to give it a go! BUT, before I take it off the program, I’m offering it for FREE today and tomorrow only (28 and 29 Sept 2012). If you are interested in ghosts and you don’t mind references to God (how do you leave God out of a spiritual interaction?) then you might like it! At the very least, it’s FREE so it won’t cost you anything but some time to check it out.
Okay, NOW for those ways to talk to the dead!
1. The Ouija Board. Now before you start cringing and making signs of the cross, let me just say a few things about this EASY form of spirit communication. It really does work but the problem is it works whether you BELIEVE it or not, and that makes it a little dangerous. Meaning this: whenever you make contact with the spirit world, you are sort of opening a portal between our world and theirs. You MUST be responsible about this. Before using a Ouija, you need to be in a positive frame of mind and please…don’t be under any drug or alcohol influence! Before you begin…PRAY. Yes, pray. I say The Lord’s Prayer because I think it’s a pretty powerful prayer and it has never let me down! Which means I’ve had no negative experiences with the Ouija. I haven’t had negative experiences because I am being responsible, positive, I pray for God’s protection, I don’t do drugs and I am not buzzing on alcohol! As in every form of spirit contact, you must make it clear that you are allowing only positive energy forces to come through. You are looking to make loving contact with someone you know or someone who needs to communicate who has nothing but positive reasons for doing so! When you are done, you thank the spirits, make it clear the session is ended and you put the board away. Portal closed.
2. Table Tipping. Now this one is sort of fun. It actually works as easy as the Ouija and it must be treated with the same respect. Pray first. If you don’t want to pray to God (spirit contact can happen no matter your religious beliefs) then at the least imagine yourself, the table and the others around you, as being surrounded by white light. This is a protective light and is as real to the spirit world as it is imagined in yours. The table should be round or square and not very big. A small end table works great! The lighter the table, the easier it is to “tip” and that’s only because it takes less energy to get it going. It must be a sturdy table though because it can really get to rocking and a weak table will probably end up getting broke. It also works better if the legs are not even with the edge of the table (for the square ones). I’ve used a lightweight card table before but I prefer to use round tables, they work best. So, you and whoever is doing it with you, all put your hands flat on the top of the table. Don’t press down hard, just lightly rest your hands on the table. After your prayer has been said or you’ve all imagined your white light, you then make it clear to the spirit world that you are looking to make positive, loving contact. Then you wait. The table should start giving off a silent “hum” of energy. Hard to explain, but you feel “something”. It might begin to shimmy a bit. This means energy is building in the table and a spirit is preparing to come through! Encourage the spirit to communicate with you, this encouragement helps increase the energy. Tell them to tip the table when they are ready to talk. After awhile, it should start rocking! Yes and no questions work best…tip once for yes, twice for no…that sort of thing. But you can have the spirit spell out words by going through the alphabet with each tip of the table. It really is a lot of fun to do with a group of people. But remember…it’s serious business. It’s not a game so be RESPONSIBLE! When you are done, make it clear you are done. This closes the “portal”.
3. Flashlight. Yes! You read that right. This one is a little harder but it does work. Take a flashlight (the twist on and off kind work best) and twist it just before it comes on. Set it down on a flat, solid surface (nothing that vibrates easy) then invite a spirit to come speak to you! Yeah, that’s it. But again, it’s best to say a prayer and/or imagine the white light (I do both). Also, make it clear you are looking for positive spirit communication. Nothing negative! You can only do yes and no with this one…positive responses will make the flashlight come on when you ask a question. Or maybe negative responses will make the flashlight come on…you need to make it clear to spirit how to communicate with you. Clarify it with them…for yes responses, turn on the flashlight or tell it that you want the flashlight to come on for no responses. Whatever you prefer.
4. Automatic Writing. This one is actually pretty easy too but so many people think they are doing the writing (making it all up) that they don’t believe they are truly talking to spirit. You need lots of paper for this and a good pencil or pen. Sit quietly with your pen in hand and resting on the paper. Do your usual preparation…prayer, white light, intentions…and wait for the pen to start moving. Spirit will come through and talk to you. Their words will enter your head like a thought and if you are relaxed and concentrated enough, your pen should start moving along with your thoughts. You sort of have to be in a meditative state to do this so keep that in mind. This one takes a lot of patience but once you’ve done it and it gets going, it’s pretty easy.
5. Scrying. This is sort of like crystal ball gazing. You can use a crystal ball, or a mirror or any shiny surface. People in the days of old used small bodies of water. This is another one that takes patience. You have to be in a meditative state to make this work. Once you’ve done your preparations, you must then put yourself in a very relaxed state. Your conscious mind must be quiet to make this work and that is very difficult to accomplish! Do we EVER shut up? Seriously. Even during sleep my mind is active…dreaming to beat the band and all that. So anyway, this also works best in a semi-darkened room (less distraction and mood setting) with a candle (preferably white just to keep with the positive theme…you know, white for the light of God and black for darkness and things not in tuned with God). Though honestly, I don’t think the candle color matters unless it matters to you. So anyway. You sit relaxed, quiet your mind and stare at the clear surface…the mirror or the crystal ball or whatever it is you are using. Let your eyes relax too, they will sort of go out of focus. Eventually you will see a haze and then, if you can keep calm and not get excited and start your mind chatter back up (which often happens to me, darn it!), you should be able to access the spirit world successfully. You might see images of people you know who have crossed over or you might see past or future events. If it’s spirit contact you are hoping for, you should see the person you want to talk to. Really, this form of spirit contact should be for specific people you are hoping to connect with and not a “free for all” like with the Ouija and Table Tipping.
6. Meditation. Though mediation is mostly used to relax your mind and enjoy being one with your spirit, you can also access the spirit world while in a meditative state. This will all happen through your imagination and there’s nothing wrong with that. Our imagination is a direct link to spirit! We just don’t think of it that way and we certainly don’t often use it for conscious spirit contact! When I go into a meditative state, I feel closely connected to the spirit world and I often have a gentle spirit come through. I call her my guardian angel. The energy around me has a warm, energized buzz about it and I know she’s coming when I start feeling that. Her thoughts enter mine and are very distinct and separate from my own internal voice. I’ve had some of the most profound experiences during meditation! I just don’t do it enough. I usually don’t have the time or the patience. Sad that.
7. Digital Recorder. If any of you have anything to do with the paranormal, you’ve seen or heard of this. Take a digital recorder (and yes, I’ve even used a hand-held tape recorder though those are pretty much going out of style) and turn it on. Do this after you’ve made proper preparations…we’ve gone over this before so I won’t repeat it all. It’s very important that you put your mindset in the right place when using a digital recorder or you probably won’t get anything. Make it clear you are hoping to communicate with the spirit world, invite the contact, open your mind to allowing it to happen…your personal energy can block spirit contact if you are not open to it! In other words, if you don’t believe you can talk to spirits, that negative energy will probably block the contact. Using a digital recorder during a seance is a great idea so keep that in mind! The premise of this form of contact is that the digital recorder can capture spirit voices. Our ears aren’t sensitive enough to pick up on certain frequencies. The spirit world operates in a higher frequency than us so we often can’t hear them.
8. Seance. With this you are getting a group of like-minded people together and when several people get together for a common purpose, it raises the energy vibration and allows contact with the spirit world to occur. People often hold hands during a seance and this is just to help focus the energy. You don’t have to hold hands but it seems to help people concentrate better. It is also reassuring to be holding someone’s hand when spirit contact takes place. It’s not a typical occurrence for many of us and it’s a bit scary. So, hold hands if it makes you feel better! The only reason spirit contact is often severed when hands disconnect is because the concentration is usually lost. Someone has pulled their hand away because they are afraid or in denial and this often stops the contact. It’s best to have one person control the group because this helps everyone focus. Focused concentration and a common goal is what makes seances work! Always start a seance with a prayer or whatever you do to feel safe, ask everyone to imagine a white light surrounding the group and explain that this is positive energy and nothing negative can penetrate it. Make it clear that you are out for making contact with loved ones or with spirits who mean no harm or have negative intentions. Be open to the communication! Allow it to happen. Be patient. Thoughts usually start coming to you and often those are thoughts from spirit! Unfortunately, you will probably pass them off as your imagination. Again, I must stress this…the imagination is a DIRECT LINK TO SPIRIT. Our imagination operates in the spirit world and manifests in our own if we give it enough focus. All creativity comes from God, Infinite Intelligence, a higher power, the Universe…whatever you want to call it and the imagination is creativity at work. Just remember that!
So there you have it! Have you tried any of these things? What was your experience? Are you going to try any of these things? Let me know how it goes or how it’s gone!
Before I close out this post, I want to mention that Be Still, My Love and it’s sequel Hidden Voices are based on some of the things I’ve learned during my own paranormal experiences. The lead character in those books…Tess Schafer…is a medium and through her I share a lot of what I’ve come to learn and understand about ghosts, hauntings and the spirit world in general.
Until next time, blessings to all and Peace Out!
- Where Spirits Dwell (deborahjhughes.com)
- The Paranormal Podcast… To Ouija or not to Ouija? (bigseance.com)
- What’s so Fascinating About the Paranormal? (deborahjhughes.com)
- Ouija Boards – Childish Game or Portal to the Spirit World? (wheretheghostsgo.wordpress.com)