October is the month for scary movies, haunted houses and spooky stories. Since we are nearing the end of the Halloween Season, I am in full-out Halloween mode! This post was initially published last year and at that time, I only named eleven picks. I’ve since added a few more.
Now, for me, when I say “scary”, I mean the spine tingling, hair raising, goosebump rising, OMG kind of scary. Not blood and gore and hatchet scary. I sat through the Friday the 13th and Halloween movies with my hands over my eyes. How are we supposed to enjoy a movie we can’t even bring ourselves to watch? I KNOW, some of you love that stuff. But not me.
Since the movies with a scare factor I enjoy most aren’t due to hacked up body counts and blood, you won’t see much in the way of gore while watching any of the following. In my opinion, the movies that make you cringe without the use of machetes and chainsaws are the best. Since stories that include ghostly elements happens to be the kind of stories I like to watch as well as write (my most recent paranormal thriller being NO MATTER WHAT!), I thought I’d share my top twenty list of spooky movies. Now, there’s been a LOT of movies made over the years, and I’m sure I’ll not list one or two that you think should be included. If so, please feel free to leave a comment and share your picks!
So without further ado, here is my list.
1. The Entity. This movie is supposed to be a true story about a woman who was repeatedly attacked by a supernatural entity. You can only take Hollywood depictions of true stories with a grain of salt, but it still made for a pretty intense movie!
2. The Changeling. This is a great spooky tale of a ghost wanting justice for his untimely death.
4. Poltergeist. Although this got pretty crazy towards the end, I thought this movie gave a great portrayal of supernatural occurrences.
5. Ghost. Okay, this one isn’t really scary, but it was a good ghost movie anyway!
6. Gothika. This movie had a nice spooky atmosphere and a few jumpy spots. And it was a good story.
8. The Others. This is a great ghost tale for sure!! A true classic.
10. What Lies Beneath. This movie was pretty good at portraying scary ghost activity … at first. Then it became a raving-lunatic-out-to-kill movie and that sort of ruined it for me. But because the first half or so was pretty spooky, I put it on my list.
11. Stir of Echoes. Although this film didn’t get a lot of attention, I thought it was pretty good and so it, too, made my list.
12. Insidious. I had to add this one because my daughter loves it and because it IS spooky!
13. The Innocents. This one I recently discovered!
14. Dragonfly. This one definitely had a paranormal influence and so I decided to include it.
15. White Noise. This one had a lot of potential and there were some bit parts I thought was pretty good but it is sort of laughable in places. Still, I thought I’d include it because sometimes a light-scare is good to enjoy!
16. Lake Mungo. Another recent discovery. Done as a documentary but interesting even so.
17. The Orphanage. This one was recommended to me when I posted last year’s picks. It definitely needs to be on the list!
18. The Amityville Horror. This was supposed to be based on a true story and though I think Hollywood did a lot of embellishment, I figure maybe SOME of it was true and if so, THAT is pretty scary! This is the updated version but the old Amityville might be a good alternative. Watch them both and compare! By the way…the book was much better! Also, there are a whole slew of movies that came out with the Amityville name attached to them. Most of them are rather silly and some are gory but you might like them. I didn’t.
19. Elvira Mistress of the Dark. Yeah, I know, this one isn’t spooky, scary but it sure is FUN! I laughed through this one and it’s such a great HALLOWEEN kind of movie!
20. The Fourth Kind. This is a bizarre movie. It’s one of those that after you are done watching it, you are tempted to watch it again just to see if you can figure out what the heck you just watched! It might be about aliens (or not…do we ever really know?) but I thought it was spooky enough to include on the list.
So what say you? Have you seen any of these? As I said, if you want to add more, please leave a comment and tell us about it!
Hope you all have a Spooktacular Halloween!! And if you don’t celebrate that holiday, have a great October 31st!!
Until next time, blessings to all and Peace Out!
- 13 Inspiring Books and Movies on the Paranormal! (deborahjhughes.com)
- Top 10 Ghost Movies (thefilmfellas.wordpress.com)