I cannot lay claim to being an expert in spirit contact, but I have done it and so I can lay claim to that! I also have made close associations with people who have done it. Which means I’ve been exposed to their ways of making spirit contact and that exposure has taught me something as well. What I can do in this blog post is explain how to communicate with “spirit” based on my personal experiences.
First thing you need to do is determine HOW you are going to make the contact. Are you going to “channel” the spirit? Which means sit quietly and invite a mental communication (seances work similarly). Are you going to do it with automatic writing? This is when you have a paper and pen ready and write whatever comes to mind. Are you going to use a spirit board, the Ouija, a pendulum or maybe even table tipping? However you do it, make sure you are ready with the required tools (paper and pen for example if you are going to do automatic writing).
1. You should be in the right frame of mind before you try to make contact with the spirit world. Anger, resentment and other negative feelings will only attract darker forces (there is evil in the world, let’s not forget that!!) You should have good intentions when initiating contact with the spirit world. Why are you doing it? What’s the purpose? For me, when I first began, it was to make contact with my grandparents. I missed them and I wanted to know how they were doing. I wanted to “feel” them in my life again. Another important thing to remember is this: No drinking! No drugs! Those two things can lower your resistance to negative energies!
2. You should protect yourself (from the negative forces lurking to pounce on the unsuspecting and unprotected) by ensuring that you ask for God’s protection. I always begin with a prayer (the Lord’s Prayer is a particularly powerful prayer!). I also imagine myself and anyone else who is with me as being surrounded by white light. Although it’s just a thought, an imaginary light, that makes it no less real! Thoughts are powerful and they are real. Your thoughts will make the light powerful and real! This white light is the light of God and represents God’s protective love surrounding you! Beings of the dark forces cannot go into light, imagined or not, so this step is a must!
3. Make your intentions known to the spirit world (this also helps you clarify what you are trying to accomplish!). If you are looking to contact a loved one or someone you know who has crossed over, then let the spirit world know that is what you are doing. Speak it out loud. This helps to clarify things and make it more real for you! If you are looking to contact a spirit guide or anyone who is “of the light” (spirit guides for instance) then tell them that! The spirit world is ever aware of those who are seeking to make contact with them. I don’t know how it is that they know, I just know that they do! It must have something to do with us all being connected.
4. Do not be afraid. What is there to fear if you’ve done the first three things on this list? Fear invites doubt which invites negative thoughts which can break down your light and allow the darker forces to come near. “Fear not, for the Lord is with you!” Truly. If you ask for God’s protection (and do not doubt it), then God is all over it. Seriously!
5. Try to calm your mind of chatter. Find something to focus on that will help reign in your busy thinking processes. A candle is often used but whatever works for you. If you have an object or an image that helps you focus, then by all means, use it! The biggest obstacle to spirit contact is our consciousness! Our consciousness is closely attached to our Ego and that is the real culprit! Your Ego will work against the contact with thoughts like “this isn’t going to work” “you can’t do this” “who do you think you are?” and so on. We are, I believe, our own worst enemy sometimes. But then again, our Ego is what helps us function in the physical world so it’s a necessary part of us.
6. Spirit contact is often nothing more (or less) than “thoughts” that suddenly pop into your head that sort of startle you. You might be all calm and quiet (which you need to be anyway for this to really work) and then suddenly this strong thought is there. The first thing you are going to do is doubt that it is a spirit and wonder if it is only your imagination. Set the doubt aside and go with it. See what happens next – what can it hurt You might be surprised by what you get. After all, what is the imagination? Where does it come from? Maybe that’s how it all works…through our imagination! The important thing here is to not doubt that it’s a real, bona fide communication with the “other side”. Doubt will shut off the communication eventually anyway because the Ego feeds on doubt.
If negative stuff comes through and frightens you, then you are not communicating with a loving spirit. End the communication immediately and try again another time. Figure out what might have gone wrong to allow the negative entity to come through and remember that next time!
Good luck and many blessings to you! Let me know how it goes! If you know a good technique, share it. I’m always open to learning new things.
- “I see dead people” (deborahjhughes.com)
- What’s the Fascination With Ghosts? (deborahjhughes.com)
- Connecting With My Spirit Guide With The Use Of A Pendulum (lightandlovespiritguide.wordpress.com)
- Divination with The Mind (psychichealingwithgemstones.wordpress.com)