Everyone who likes Romance movies has a list of those they love. I’m no different. There are some that I like so much I watch them over and over again. Though there are hundreds of great movies I could include on this list, I’m going to name only the ones that I’ve enjoyed multiple times. I didn’t include any Christmas related movies and I didn’t include any that didn’t end with “happily ever after”. So, if you are wondering why I didn’t include The Notebook for instance, that’s why. Now, some will protest that decision with a heartfelt “But they died together!” Yeah, they did and I’m happy for them. But they still died. Also, I thought it incredibly sad that she forgot him, their romance, their kids and their lives together. Yes, it was wonderful that he stayed devoted and read her their love story over and over but still…there’s a poignant sadness to it as well. So anyway, movies with happy endings only, them is my rules.
This list probably won’t uncover any surprises but no matter, I wanted to share with you the movies I love to watch again and again because Valentine’s Day is coming up and that always turns my thoughts towards all things romantic!
1. Tequila Sunrise Mel Gibson and Michelle Pfeiffer star in this movie and I think Mel is at the height of his “makes women swoon” stage in this movie. Although it isn’t a Romance per se, I watch it again and again because I enjoy looking at Mel and I love the chemistry between him and Michelle. The scene where these two finally succumb to their attraction for each other is “hot”! Really. Kurt Russell is in this one as well. He’s the 3rd in the romance triangle.
2. While You Were Sleeping I have seen this movie so many times, I should know all the lines by now! I love Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman in this movie. Now, I know that I said I wouldn’t include any Christmas related movies, but this is one of those movies that can be watched and appreciated any time of the year. At least for me it can!
3. Pride and Prejudice / BBC Series P&P: I love both versions…the one with Kiera Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen didn’t follow the story exactly but it was still a great movie and the series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle is a very close adaptation to the book and is absolutely wonderful!
4. Boys and Girls This one is starring Freddie Prinze Jr. and Clair Forlani. It’s a cute movie, following both character through the years as their friendship develops and grows and I really enjoy watching it. One of my favorite scenes is when they go out dancing: Fun Dance Scene it runs a little past the dance but at least the whole dance scene it in there!
5. The Magic or Ordinary Days this is with Skeet Ulrich and Keri Russell. I fell for Skeet in this movie…he was so blasted sweet! It’s not a sweep-you-off-your-feet movie but something about it just captured me and I had to go out and buy the book after watching it. The only reason I haven’t seen this more than once is I don’t own the movie…yet!
6. Some Kind of Wonderful Eric Stoltz and Mary Stuart Masterson. I know, it’s a teen flick, but I don’t care. I love this movie! I love it when friends fall in love, my favorite kind of story.
7. North and South It’s a BBC mini-series but I had to include it because I think this one is my most favorite of them all! Starring Richard (yummie) Armitage and Daniela Danby-Ashe. I have watched this movie more than Pride and Prejudice! Much as I adore Colin Firth, Richard Armitage is to die for in this series (okay, figuratively speaking, but still). I’ll probably be watching this on my death bed, wanting one more viewing before I die. Yeah, it’s that good.
8. The Proposal another starring Sandra Bullock but with hunky Ryan Reynolds this time! This is another RomCom. Love it! Pure enjoyment.
9. Coyote Ugly Piper Parabo and Adam Garcia. Not only did I enjoy the cute romance in this movie but I loved all the music! This is an enjoyable movie, great to watch, great to listen to!
10. Sliding Doors Gwyneth Paltrow and John Hannah. What I love about this movie is the parallel universe concept … how the simplest most seemingly insignificant thing can alter our lives. This movie makes you stop and think. And think some more.
11. Where the Heart Is Natalie Portman and James Frain. I think this is such a sweet movie. The romance developed over time and I loved how it all came together in the end.
12. Sweet Home Alabama Reese Witherspoon and Josh Lucas. A RomCom for sure. This is a fun movie with a great cast. I really like Josh Lucas in this one!! I think he’s why I keep watching it.
13. The Mirror Has Two Faces Barbara Streisand and Jeff Bridges. This is a great movie! This movie made me laugh, it made me cry. I was so GLAD these two worked their way back to each other at the end! I love how Barbara’s character came out of her shell and how Jeff’s character grew more flustered with her as their relationship developed.
14. Three to Tango Neve Campbell and Matthew Perry. Another RomCom that is truly fun to watch again and again. Perry has great comedic presence but he also has a vulnerability to him that melts your heart.
15. If Only Jennifer Love Hewitt and Paul Nicholls. A gripping story about second chances. After losing her in a car accident, he somehow secures another go at it, reliving their last day together. A wonderful romance. Granted, the ending doesn’t quite match my criteria but I had to include it anyway. The whole story is totally worth a watch. It surely makes you appreciate what you have!
16. PS. I Love You Hillary Swank and Gerard Butler. What movie isn’t worth watching if Gerard Butler is in it! Man or woman, you gotta love the man. This one started out sad but ended well. I loved her journey from despair to love.
17. Pearl Harbor Ben Affleck, Josh Hartman, Kate Beckinsale. Aside from the very dramatic scenes of Pearl Harbor’s attack, the love triangle was heartbreaking and enthralling. Now, this one didn’t end on the best of notes…one of the men died…but it did end well enough. I had to include it because it is just such a romantic movie. And really, it couldn’t have ended any other way.
18. You’ve Got Mail Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Being an author, I’d love this one anyway (I mean, their BOOK store owners!) But I love the premise of this movie…how they met, how their romance developed, and their friendship. Besides, having these great actors play the leads, well it made for a wonderful movie!
19. Notting Hill Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts. This is a sweet movie. Who isn’t going to love a romance where an ordinary person gets the attention of a big time celebrity! I thought the two characters were amusing and the supporting cast was nice as well.
20. The Ugly Truth Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl. Another one with Gerard in it! I thought this movie was hilarious and I sure do love to laugh. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. A great romp of a romance!
21. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Day Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. Another movie that made me laugh. As each tried to get one over on the other, they fell in love…who isn’t going to love a story like that? Especially when it’s played out so well by the actors involved!
22. Return to Me David Duchovny and Minnie Driver. The idea behind this one just clutches at your heart. Literally. Begun on a sad note (he loses his wife…their dog waiting for her return is heartbreaking), but ends in a happy-tears way. He falls in love with the very woman who now holds his wife’s heart…wow! It really got me when he went down on his knees to listen to her heart at the end. Man…strong stuff.
23. Stranger Than Fiction Will Ferrell and Emma Thompson. Another movie an author can totally appreciate! I always imagine my characters as real people in some pretend world that is real somewhere in another dimension. So, the idea of a character trying to change the author’s mind and save his character…loved it! And his finding love right when his life is about to end…intense! I thought this was a very clever creation and a very cool movie. Will Ferrell played this one well.
24. Angel Eyes Jennifer Lopez and Jim Caviezel. Another wonderful movie that started out sad. Jim is just so awesome in this movie. I loved watching these two flawed characters find their way to each other and heal in the process. Truly, this is a beautiful movie.
25. Dan in Real Life Steve Carell and Juliette Binoche. I really enjoyed Steve in this movie, he played the vulnerable, lovable, emotionally starved man so very well. A single dad trying to get over the loss of his wife and deal with three daughters…great stuff. But then having him fall in love with his brother’s girlfriend…priceless! This movie makes you laugh even when you’re feeling sympathetic.
26. Always Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter. This movie covered it all…a sweet romance, tragedy, and then another sweet romance. But what I loved was watching Richard’s character learn to let go and be happy with that decision. A sucker for ghost stories, I would like this one anyway but it’s a great movie for all that. Sad at times but happy enough to watch again and again.
27. Mary Stuart Masterson, Johnny Depp and Aidan Quinn. Well, a movie with Johnny Depp and Aidan Quinn, reason enough to watch it! This is really a sweet romance. It just tugs at your heart and you are just rooting for these two (Mary and Johnny) to stay together despite big brother’s well-meaning interference. Love happens on many levels and this movies shows you that.
28. French Kiss Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline. Who isn’t going to love a movie with these two in it? But seriously, there’s something about a good girl bringing down an bad boy!
29. Only You Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. I loved the whole idea behind this movie. She is told the name of a man she’ll marry by a fortune teller and then again when using a Ouija Board. Cool. She grows up waiting for this man to enter her life. But she feels her biological clock is ticking and he has yet to enter her life. So, she settles for someone else. And then he calls her soon-to-be husband and she’s off on an adventure to find him … in Italy! This is such a great romantic movie and a lot of fun besides!
30. Practical Magic Aidan Quinn, Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. This movie is worth watching just for Aidan Quinn (yeah, it’s so obvious this post is written by a woman who loves watching movies with gorgeous men in it!). But aside from that, I loved the paranormal element to the movie as well. And that kiss Aidan and Sandra share…hot! Another fun movie with great romantic chemistry.
I’m sure after I post this, I’ll think of others I should have added, but I’ve listed a pretty fair amount so I’m going to stop wracking my brains and get this out. You might want to watch some of these if you haven’t yet, or rewatch a few even if you have!
If you have a special movie you’d like to share, please do!! Hope you all have a wonderful, romantic, love-filled Valentine’s Day!! Blessings and Peace Out!
P.S. A great list for more romantic movies